March 08, 2013

On International Women’s Day

Here's what I shared in Parliament today on behalf of Trinamool


Mr. Chairman, Sir, I am doubly delighted to be speaking on this occasion because not only am I speaking to this august house on International Women’s Day, I am the first man to express myself after eight ladies have spoken this morning.

Let me begin by asking: when is International Men’s Day?
Few people know the answer. It is on November 19. International Women’s Day, we all know, is on March 8, but the reason we don’t know of International Men’s Day is because men dominate the other 364 days.

Before we get to bigger and important issues like legislation and administrative solutions to the many issues faced by the women of this country, I appeal to all male members of Parliament to start making a change in small ways – let us be better husbands to our wives, let us be better fathers to our daughters, let us be better children to our mothers, let us be better brothers to our sisters.

So many political parties, including mine, have women as their leaders. Maybe, women make better leaders.

Today is a historic day in Bengal. The Mamata Banerjee government introduces the historic Kanyashree bill, which will promote education, health and the overall well-being of the women in the State. I would urge other States to examine its contents and consider bringing such a legislation in their States too.

The people of Bengal are indeed inspired by MA MAti MAnush – yes, MA (mother) is part of every aspect of life in our State.

Let me end with this rhyme: Let’s still give her flowers on Women’s Day
                                           And make sure she never needs that pepper spray.